Podcast: Top 3 Supporting Characters in Sci-Fi Movies
This week on the InSession Film Podcast, while reviewing RoboCop, we referenced how Gary Oldman’s character in quite a few scenes jumped out as you and stole the show in some instances. His performance, which was strong, is the motivation for this week’s Top 3. And While lead characters get a lot of love in film, sometimes it’s the supporting characters that get some of the most memorable lines and moments of the movie. This seems to be the case more and more when you break it down in sci-fi movies. Because science fiction films tend to have a lot of characters and large sequences, there are a lot of characters that rise to the surface which is just a lot of fun. And let me tell you, it was not easy picking this week’s Top 3, with so many great characters to choose from.
What supporting characters from sci-fi movies would make your list? Here are the one’s that made our list:
1) Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen) – Transformers trilogy
2) Joker (Heath Ledger) – The Dark Knight
3) Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) – Marvel Franchise
1) Han Solo (Harrison Ford) – Star Wars trilogy
2) Agent Smith (Hugo Weaving) – The Matrix
3) Golum (Andy Serkis) – The Lord of the Rings trilogy
1) Ben Jabituya (Fisher Stevens) – Short Circuit
2) Myles Dyson (Joe Morton) – Terminator 2: Judgement Day
3) David (Michael Fassbender) – Prometheus
1) Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) – Aliens
2) President (Donald Pleasence) – Escape From New York
3) Jaws (Richard Kiel) – Moonraker
Honorable Mentions (Combined)
All other Transformers characters, HAL 9000 (2001: A Space Odyssey), Yoda (Star Wars), Darth Vader (Star Wars), Caesar (Rise of the Planet of the Apes), Dr. Emmett Brown (Back to the Future), Agent K (M.I.B.), Jasper (Children of Men), Lt. Hiram Coffey (The Abyss), Cpl. Dwayne Hicks (Aliens), Matt Kowalski (Gravity), Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jurassic Park), Dr. William Heir (Event Horizon), Agent Coulson (Marvel Franchise)
Hopefully you guys enjoyed our lists and if you agree or disagree with us, let us know in the comment section below. Like we said, there are a million characters to choose from and we probably missed many great choices. So, let us know which one’s you liked and would have on your list. Leave a comment in the comment section or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For the entire podcast, click here.
For more lists done by the InSession Film crew and other guests, be sure see our Top 3 Movie Lists page.