This week on the InSession Film Podcast, we discussed the latest film from director Terrence Malick, Knight of Cups. Malick is certainly a polarizing director but it’s hard to deny the beauty of his imagery and how he’s taken full advantage of the cinematic experience. And for our Top 3 this week, we took full advantage of the opportunity to discuss the moments that represent that exactly. From Badlands to even Knight of Cups, Malick has featured some profound and unforgettable moments that will certainly go down in history.
That being said, what Malick moments would make your list? Here are the one’s that made ours:
*Keep in mind we have different criteria for our lists as well*
1) The “swing” scene – The Thin Red Line
2) Birth of the Universe – The Tree of Life
3) Death of Whit – The Thin Red Line
1) Birth of the Universe – The Tree of Life
2) Capt. James ‘Bugger’ Staros refuses Lt. Col. Gordon Tall’s order – The Thin Red Line
3) The locust scene Days of Heaven
1) Beach family “reunion” – The Tree of Life
2) Narration of Holly reflecting on her life – Badlands
3) Final scene – The New World
Honorable Mentions (Combined)
Neil / Marina supermarket scene – To the Wonder
“I blew my butt off” – The Thin Red Line
Mr. O’Brien chasing son through the house – The Tree of Life
Ships are coming toward the shore – A New World
Captain Smith / Pocahontas love sequence – A New World
“Everything is a lie” – The Thin Red Line
Hopefully you guys enjoyed our lists and if you agree or disagree with us, let us know in the comment section below. There are certainly some other great Malick moments that we didn’t mention that are more than deserving to be on a list like this. That being said, what would be your Top 3? Leave a comment in the comment section or email us at email@example.com.
For the entire podcast, click here or listen below.
For more lists done by the InSession Film crew and other guests, be sure see our Top 3 Movie Lists page.