List: Top 3 Director/Writer Collaborations
This week on the InSession Film Podcast, we discussed Steve Jobs from director Danny Boyle and writer Aaron Sorkin. Movies that feature great directors are always a safe bet. Movies that feature great directors and a great screenwriter, now you’re really talking. Collaborations between brilliant directors and writers usually make for some of the best films of all time. Of course not all work out well or make a hit, but when they do hit, they hit hard.
That being said, what Top 3 director/writer collaborations would make your list? Here are the one’s that made ours:
*Keep in mind we have different criteria for our lists as well
1) William Peter Blatty / William Friedkin – The Exorcist
2) Melissa Mathison / Steven Spielberg – E.T.
3) Paul Scrader / Martin Scorsese – Taxi Driver
1) Christopher McQuarrie / Brian Singer – The Usual Suspects
2) Simon Pegg / Edgar Wright – Hot Fuzz
3) Tony Gilroy / Paul Greengrass – The Bourne Supremacy / Ultimatum
1) Paul Scrader / Martin Scorsese – Raging Bull
2) Simon Pegg / Edgar Wright – Shaun of the Dead
3) Jonathan Nolan / Christopher Nolan – The Prestige
1) Robert Towne / Roman Polanski – Chinatown
2) Paul Scrader / Martin S. – Taxi Driver
3) Christopher McQuarrie / Brian Singer – The Usual Suspects
Honorable Mentions (Combined)
Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman / J.J. Abrams – Star Trek, David Mamet / James Foley – Glengarry Glen Ross, Brian Helgeland / Clint Eastwood – Mystic River, Chris Terrio / Ben Affleck – Argo
Hopefully you guys enjoyed our lists and if you agree or disagree with us, let us know in the comment section below. There are obviously a lot more pairings to choose from, despite some great contenders on our lists. That being said, what would be your Top 3? Leave a comment in the comment section or email us at email@example.com.
For the entire podcast, click here or listen below.
For more lists done by the InSession Film crew and other guests, be sure see our Top 3 Movie Lists page.